Other issues important to a Minsk tourist: Belarus state holidays, Minsk internet cafes, Minsk weather, Belarus draniki recipe, Belarus travel safety, etc.

How good is tap water in Belarus?

updated on 20/10/2016

Normally potable water in Belarus has a low level of fluorine and iodine and an excessive level of iron. The further to the east the cities and villages are located the worse the water becomes. Local quality standards are stricter than those set by the WHO and according to the UN Economic Commission for Europe, the quality of tap water in Belarus is rather high. Currently the water supply system of Belarus is being repaired with the ongoing construction of deironing facilities.

Minsk has the best potable water in Belarus and among the former Soviet countries. The authorities maintain that one can drink tap water in any Minsk district without the risk of catching a disease. Underground sources make up to 70 per cent of the total water supply of the capital while the remaining 30 per cent come from surface sources and undergo chemical and biological treatment. Complete switch of Minsk to underground water sources is scheduled for 2020.

However, in other Belarusian cities the water situation is different and the quality is not as high. To clean the water many people apply such old-fashioned methods as sedimentation, boiling and freezing while others stick to using various filters or buying bottled water. In any way, tap water in Belarus is in most cases good enough to take a shower, a bath and to wash foodstuffs. 

According to some of my customers, it is better not to drink water in the WC taps of the Minsk hotels.

Questions are welcome!

Andrei Burdenkov - your personal guide in Belarus
IG logo FB logo YT logo email icon phone icon


How do I apply for a Belarus tourist visa?
updated on 13.02.2017

Applying at their local Belarus Consulate, the citizens of migration-secure states (e.g. the USA, Canada, Japan and others) can obtain a short-term...

Filling in Belarus visa application
updated on 18.02.2020

The form of application for a visa to Belarus has become digital and you can save and send it as a PDF file. It is only a 2-page document that is available...

Anything I should know about landing in MSQ Minsk Airport?
updated on 08.02.2017

Quite a number of things, as a matter of fact. Let’s examine a typical case from my travel agent’s past with a traveler landing in Minsk Airport (MSQ) and applying for a visa...

How do I apply for a Belarus private/guest visa?
updated on 01.02.2017

People, who want to travel to Belarus to see a friend, take care of the grave of a relative, take part in the court hearings, etc. need to apply for a private visa... 

Tour Belarus for family research
updated on 16.05.2013

This article covers field family research in Belarus that in most cases comes after dealing with the State archives of Belarus and genealogical research.

Using a plastic card in Belarus?
updated on 14.10.2016

A plastic card is a fine thing, no doubt, but there have been a number of cases when the ATM displayed ERROR, or required a PIN code...

Traditional souvenirs from Belarus?
updated on 18.10.2016

While most tourists agree that Belarus is not the country for grand shopping, there are still some things that can be brought back as souvenirs...